At New College we treat students who are 16 or 17 in a way that helps foster their burgeoning independence while still ensuring their safety. In most ways they are treated as an adult in the school but the following also apply:
- They receive additional guidance about what is legal/illegal at different ages in the UK.
- They have a 10PM curfew.
- They cannot stay anywhere other than their accommodation unless they have parental consent.
- They cannot take a holiday without parental consent.
- Their photos cannot be used without parental consent.
- They must attend every class.
- They must attend every class on time.
- If they are missing from a class at any point we will contact the student. If we cannot get hold of the student we will inform the police.
New College monitors students of this age group very closely to ensure their safety. In addition to the rules for 16-17 year olds, the additional following apply:
- These students are supervised at all times in the college by a responsible adult – this includes break times.
- Under 16s cannot leave their group during class or a break unless a responsible adult accompanies them- this includes going to the toilet or prayer room.
- Under 16s are always grouped and classed with other under 16s.