When you arrive in Britain, you will go through customs. You will need to show the following to a customs official:
• Your passport, with any necessary visas
• Proof that you have enough money to support yourself during your study in the UK
• NCG accommodation confirmation or proof of your accommodation whilst in the UK
• NCG course information letter as proof that you are coming to the UK to study
Please note that depending on your type of visa, your passport will show a validity of only 1 month (Home Office call this a 30 day vignette to enter the country). This means that you must obtain your Bio-metric Resident Permit upon your arrival to the UK. You should have been given further information about this when you obtained your visa. Once you arrive you may need to register with the police in the UK (please check your visa copy to confirm). This is the standard procedure in the UK, please speak to the NCG admin team on your first day for more information on how to do this.
When you arrive in the airport, you will go through customs. You will have to show your passport or valid travel ID card.
Are you covered? Health insurance can be arranged via NCG. The price shall vary based on the length of your stay. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to apply.
If you require a taxi transfer to meet you on arrival at the airport, please email email@example.com at least 2 weeks in advance of your arrival to ensure this is booked. For pricing, see the prices section on the website. If you want to make your own way from the airport, here are some NCG top tips:
Manchester Airport is well served by a network of local and regional buses running daily from early morning to late night, including weekends and bank holidays. There is now a 24-hour bus service operating to/from Manchester Airport.
The following bus services operate to and from Manchester Airport:
• 200 Wilmslow – Manchester Airport • 18 The Trafford Centre – Altrincham • 19 Manchester Airport – Altrincham • 43 – To Manchester via Wythenshawe, Fallowfield and Rusholme (24 hours a day) • 105 – To Manchester city centre via Wythenshawe, Benchill, Sharston, Northenden and Moss Side • 369 Manchester Airport – Stockport • 199 – To Stockport Express via M56 & M60 Then Hazel Grove, New Mills, Whaley Bridge, Chapel-en-le-Frith and Buxton • 200 Wilmslow – Manchester Airport – via Styal and Quarry Bank Mill • 44 Manchester Airport – Manchester Click here for a tool to plan your journey to school
There are regular train services running from Manchester Airport to Manchester city centre 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Cheap train tickets to or from Manchester Airport, are just a few clicks away with the Trainline. Click here to visit their website. For more information regarding travelling to and from Manchester airport please have a look at the following link: http://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/to-and-from-the-airport/
Manchester has excellent transport links with the ever expanding Metrolink system. Please visit the following link for more information on the tram system, including prices and buying tickets in advance:
At NCG Manchester the accommodation usually runs from Sunday to Sunday. This gives students a chance to settle in the day before their classes start. Please check your documentation before you book travel.
If you have chosen residential accommodation, a confirmation will be sent to you with details of what time you can arrive and other check in information.
If you have chosen homestay accommodation, we will send you a confirmation with your host’s address, a brief description of the other occupants of the home, surrounding area, etc. We try and take on board any reasonable requests when placing students into homestay accommodation, dietary and health requirements being the most important.
NCG are happy to give information on letting agencies in Manchester. Short term lets are not common in the UK and the minimum term is usually 6 months. Bills such as water, electricity and gas are not usually included in the rent. In addition students will be required to pay Council Tax. Deposits are usually at a sum of 1.5 – 2 months’ rent and are payable in advance.