With NCG, students from all over the world can get the chance to study English by enrolling on an English language course at our school in Liverpool. The city is home to more listed buildings than any other UK city, apart from London. There are many remarkable and historic buildings in Liverpool, for students to explore.
We’ve decided to take a closer look at 4 of Liverpool’s oldest buildings and landmarks, so that you can get the chance to learn more about one of the best student cities in the UK…
It’s the oldest building in Liverpool’s city centre, originally built between 1716-17. Bluecoat Chambers was extended in 1718 into a boarding school for boys. In 1925, after the death of the building’s owner William Lever, there were calls to demolish the property.
After a successful campaign the building was saved and made into the Bluecoat Society of Arts in 1927. It sustained substantial damage during the Liverpool Blitz in 1941, but restoration projects took place in 1951 to return it to its former glory. The Grade 1 listed building is now the oldest arts centre in the country, and the architectural gem was reopened in 2008 to coincide with Liverpool’s year as European Capital of Culture.
It’s one of the finest surviving Tudor halls around, and historic buildings in Liverpool that was originally built for the Norris family from 1490 to 1612. The Great Hall was the first part of the property to be constructed, and other areas were subsequently added over the years. After the death of the last heir in the Norris family, until eventually the National Trust received ownership of the house in 1943 and took full responsibility for it in 1986.
The hidden away Tutor relic now resides in close proximity to Liverpool Airport, but thanks to the surrounding trees, gardens and parkland it maintains an air of tranquillity. These days most of the hall is open to the public and along with getting to enjoy the beauty and grandeur of the manor house itself, guests have access to a shop, restaurant and education centre. There’s even a restored garden that offers spectacular views of the Mersey basin and North Wales Hills.
The chapel dates all the way back to 1618 and is another one of the oldest Liverpool historic buildings. It was even known as the Ancient Chapel of Toxteth until about the 1830s. It’s first master was 15-year-old Richard Mather, who was appointed by Puritan farmers. After attending Brasenose College, Oxford, he returned to the chapel once it was finished being built in 1618. He was eventually suspended in the 1630s for his non-conformist views.
As more chapels were built across Liverpool over the years, the Toxteth Unitarian Chapel was swallowed up by the expanding neighbourhoods. It soon fell into disrepair due to neglect, until 1774 when the chapel received a partial rebuild. Now the city’s oldest non-conformist church is a Grade I listed building and is open to visitors during Heritage Open Days.
Situated at the heart of the city’s business district, amongst the offices, call centres and coffee houses, the Liverpool Town Hall is truly a breath-taking building, and it’s even been described as “one of the finest surviving 18th century town halls.” It was originally constructed from 1749 to 1754 and designed by architect, John Wood the Elder.
The hall has played host to many historic moments, notably the last official surrender of the American Civil War. Truly, one of the most historic buildings in Liverpool, Captain Waddell walked up the hall’s very steps to deliver his letter of surrender to the British government in 1985. Like many key buildings in the city, it suffered damage during the Liverpool Blitz, but has since been restored numerous times. Tours of the hall are now offered to the public, and it is still an important civic centre for weddings, along with prestigious social and charity events.
At NCG, we consider Liverpool to be one of the best student cities in the whole of the UK, which is why it’s home to our English language school.